PhET Progress Report
October 1, 2009
An online version of this report is available here.
Here's a pie chart representation of the time distribution.
· Added 12 fixes, latest version is 1.03.45, partly in collaboration with John
· Improvements for the-ramp, forces-and-motion, moving-man
· Fixes based on Trish’s recommendations before her classroom use
· Posted updated version on main site as 1.26
· Synchronize horizontal axes
· Set chart to take up all vertical space by default, see #1782
· Applied for IntelliJ license renewal
o They granted us another license, and asked that we update our banner, see #1805
· Worked with John on KSU installer
· Improved support for stage area and transforms in MyCanvas (press S during Ramp Simulation)
· Discussed 3D issues with Chris, Jonathan & Wendy over email
· Posted Ladybug Motion 2D as 1.00 on tigercat, after resolving some bugs NP pointed out, see #1806
· Updated scala projects to use Scala 2.8-style imports
o all upcoming IDE support is focused on 2.8
o Scala 2.8 beta should be out sometime this winter, right now IDE developers are mostly working with nightly-builds
o I’m keeping PhET’s Scala code 2.7-compatible until there at least a 2.8 beta
· Experimented with Eclipse plugin nightly builds
o Many features missing, but able to edit, build, run, debug scala sims, some support for navigation
· Did a full git checkout of phet’s svn (trunk + tags + branches)
o Took about 4 days
o Empty updates are about 2x as fast (15 sec vs 30 sec)
o Full history stored on disk, easy to visualize
o Easy to branch, could be useful if we use branches to support re-releases of sims with common changes
o Easy to checkout previous revisions
· Ramp simulation, see to-do list
· E&E graph should have record/playback, use Scala recording controls.
1. Noah provided a mock-up, see email
2. Rewrite this component in Java?
· Discuss MyCanvas layout implementation with Chris, John, Jonathan
1. Still experimenting with it
1. Decide which of these sims should be reposted, or whether we'd like to investigate the source code for changes before investing in repost + retest.
2. Chris recommended making common text change logs available to testers
· Motion Suite: need to discuss Robot Moving Company games with NP
· CCK - new Physics implementation, testing and performance analysis (with Sam M)
· JMonkeyEngine/Xith /3dzzd/Flash/Papervision3d/Away3D/Feng Gui
· Make it possible to redeploy sims with common changes without retesting the sim when we redeploy again
· New JProfiler? Copy of Flash?